Jul 22, 2009

Smiley

Language is dying a slow albeit steady death.
Reason: Smileys

And it's not just a very biased accusation, I (shamefaced) too am responsible for the down slide of the great tool called conversation.

Nobody bothers to type anymore, the answer to everything is summed up in a pithy smiley.

Sometimes it is cute, sometimes it makes you happy, sometimes it's just perfect but most of the times it's downright lazy.

I will not slander anybody here. I will - very nobly - make oneself the scapegoat.

Anybody who knows me well also knows that I avoid the chat rooms etc. as one avoids plague. I tire easily of meaningless talk and meaningful talk and all kinds of talk actually. So I take refuge under the ever-expanding umbrella of smileys.

My general conversations go something like this:

Irritating friend: Hi!
Me: Hi!
Irritating friend: You know what?
Me: confused smileys
Irritating friend: Babble babble babble babble
Me: animated smileys
Irritating friend: I know! Weird huh? But you wont believe what she did then!!! Babble babble babble babble
Me: free image hosting
Irritating friend: Exactly!!
.
.
.
.
.
(You get the drift)

I happen to know for a fact that Shwetu uses this technique frequently. But since I know that she's actually the most adorable person and loves me I let it pass free smilies

But the most outrageous use of smileys has been attained by me and Maggie.
We sms each other a lot. And knowing us, they are very this-is-my-last-msg-ever kind of msges. They generally read:

Maggie: Hi Much-o!free smilies Wassup? It's boring here!sara campbell I hate this place scuba diving in Phuket I wanna come home!! scuba diving in Phuket Miss thee and love thee unhappy smileys Bye!!
.
.
.
.
.
.
(You get the drift)
.
.
.
.
.

11 comments:

William Deng-Deng K. said...

:P

:D

:)

Am I irritating now? HUH? AM I?

Shweta said...

"I will not slander anybody here".

Promptly followed by
"I happen to know for a fact that Shwetu uses this technique frequently".

Way to go Such :|.

And you KNEW that? I thought I was subtle about these things!

Such! said...

@Deng: I am a very noble person. Peace.

@Shwetu: In my defense, I also said good things about you!! Actually I just wanted to prove that being dropped on my head does not necessarily make me wooden

Shweta said...

ok, time for new strategy. and in MY defense, i use it on pretty much everyone i know.

Such! said...

@shwetu: Oh, that i know - you are as fond of chatting as me.

Sharanya said...

@ Shwetu and Suchi:

I know nothing about this! I hope Aggie doesn't either, so you both will be forced to explain to me what's going on. JUST BECAUSE I DONT CHAT IT DOESNT MEAN THAT IM STUPID!

Such! said...

@sharan: Heyy..I just love doing it to clueless people. Making them all the more clueless. Gives me a high. You Dangler :)

Urvashi said...

Lollll
:)
I love smileys...

In my defense i think text conversation can get so disconnected and sometimes you just want to literally send a smile or a laugh or a frown or whatsits..
But use sparingly :)

Urvashi said...

WHERE ARE YOU?
ITS BEEN WEEKS>>>>>

COME BACK.

William Deng-Deng K. said...

Alright.

Long time no see(/write?).

Check this out.

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/erin_mckean_redefines_the_dictionary.html

And this too.

http://dictionaryevangelist.com/

Other than that. Ssup?

:)

bhavini said...

Seriously, I agree with the smiley overload. And it's also quite demeaning sometimes, specially when you do happen to be talking about something serious, and the person pings a smiley back. I mean, he or she wouldn't do that in real life, right? And also, smileys are just too darned ambiguous.